- 5 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried banana chips
- dried apricots1/2 cup , halved
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, sunflower kernels and flax. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, salt and cinnamon.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until brown sugar is dissolved and mixture is heated through.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 8 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir in dried fruits.
- Store in an airtight container.
Health tip: Granola typically has healthy whole grains and nuts, but added sugar and sweetened dried fruit, too. Eat this calorie-dense cereal in relatively small portion sizes.
1/2 cup: 253 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.