- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg white or 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cover raisins with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Whisk together next 6 ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine molasses, butter, egg white and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in walnuts and raisins (batter will be wet).
- Divide batter in half; spread each half (wetting hands, if necessary) into a 12x2-in. rectangle 2 in. apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Transfer to a cutting board; with a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1-1/2-in. bars.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
1 bar: 122 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.